Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Saratoga K9 Kooling Coat

There are several cooling coats on the market and they seem to work in a few different ways.  Some, you soak and the evaporation cools the dogs, others are a light color and reflect the sun away.  For those that haven't noticed, Hudson is mostly black.  In the summer, and on bright winter days, his black coat will be warm or hot to the touch.  He spends most of the summer hiding in the shade and for such an active dog, it just didn't seem fair.  I struggled for probably close to a year on what cooling coat I wanted to get, but finally settled on the Saratoga K9 Kooling Coat.  Part of it was the cost, and part of it is that Hudson is a smallish dog and I was worried the coats that needed soaking would be too heavy for him.


The K9 Kooling coat works mainly by reflecting the suns rays away from the dog so that the dog's fur doesn't absorb the heat.  I know that I can tell a difference between the temperature under the coat and the top of his head.  He also seems much more comfortable outside when wearing it.

The coat fits on the dog with a velcro belly band and a buckle across the chest.  I think I got Hudson's a size too small, so it's a little snug on him and doesn't cover all the way to his tail, but it doesn't slide around and stays put.  Obviously, you can't use it with a normal harness underneath, but the front is open enough that if you use a front clip harness without any issue.  I use an Easy-Walk harness when I need to use a front clip.   I haven't tried it, but I bet harnesses styled like the Brillian K9 Harness or the EzyDog Quick Fit would fit over the coat, depending on where their chest strap fits in relation to the buckled on the coat.


I love this coat and now that the weather is getting warm again, I look forward to taking it out on more adventures.



Saratoga K9 Kool Coat

No comments:

Post a Comment