Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Eco by Lupine

In July of 2014 we were getting ready to head out for vacation.  That year we were heading to a house in West Virginia on the banks of the Potomac River and I was looking for a harness that would hold up to the river grit & grime, but was inexpensive enough that if I needed to toss it after vacation it wouldn't hurt the wallet too much.   I ended up with a Tropical Sea colored Eco harness by Lupine.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Lupine, all of their products are guaranteed, even if chewed, and they will replace anything.  I looked through a lot of their harnesses and at the different designs, but eventually settled on the Eco because they are made from recycled plastic bottles.  What can I say, I'm a bit of a sucker for things made out of recycled products


Being made out of recycled plastic bottles, you would think that the harness would be stiff; it isn't. It feels very similar to a medium weight, nylon harness.  The color is nice and bright.  As you would expect from a Lupine product, it feels like a quality made product all around.  I got the step-in style harness, it has 3 places to adjust the fit.  Hudson is around 37 lbs, and wears the 20"-30" girth harness. Everything is sized about in the middle, but at almost 3 years old, I don't see him growing much more.


This harness took on the mighty Potomac River with ease and has quickly become my go-to harness for hiking, or any event I think he'll get gross and dirty.  If your dog is a big of a puller, like Hudson, the harness won't prevent the pulling, and if your dog pulls off to one side or another, the harness will slip a little to the left or right, but I have not had Hudson slip out of it, and don't see that as an issue.

As a side note, I also clip the poop-bag holder to the d-rings on the back and make Hudson carry his own poop bags.  Now, I do carry the full bags (lucky me!), but maybe one day I'll get something with bags to make him carry his own poop too.  

Some reviews have noted that these are hard on the edges and cause rubbing or coat breakage.  I haven't noted either of these on Hudson.  Since we use this harness on hikes, he is usually wearing it for an hour, or longer, at a time and I have not noticed any issue.  


Lupine's Store

No comments:

Post a Comment